Los Angeles, CA, (May 19, 2021) – Hollywood stars will be coming out to demand California save small performing arts theaters at a press conference supporting State Senator Susan Rubio’s Senate Bill 805 (SB 805), “Save The Performing Arts Act of 2021” on Wednesday, May 19, 2021 from 10:00 – 10:30 a.m. at Josefina López’ CASA 0101 Theater, 2102 East First Street, at St. Louis Street, Boyle Heights, CA 90033.
- Edward Padilla (Press Conference Emcee; President of Board of Directors for CASA 0101 Theater; Actor, Singer, Stage Director, Producer and Casting Director: Film and Television Credits: Man on Fire, Get the Gringo, Mr. and Mrs. Smith, Suburgatory, Jane the Virgin. Theater Credits: Matthew Modine Saves the Alpacas, The Marriage of Figaro, Luisa Fernanda, and Workshop Productions of Sister Act.
TODAY’S SPEAKERS (In Order of Appearance):
- Josefina López (Founding Artistic Director, CASA 0101 Theater, Emmy Award®, Sundance Film Festival and Humanitas Prize Award Winning Writer; SB 805 Coalition Member; Real Women Have Curves, Trío Los Machos, Hungry Woman, A Cat Named Mercy, An Enemy of the Pueblo, Piñata Dreams, Clean Start)
- State Senator Susan Rubio (D, Baldwin Park and Author of SB 805)
- Edward James Olmos (First American-born Hispanic Academy Award® Nominated Actor; Golden Globe® Award, Emmy Award®, Independent Spirit Award® and Alma Award Winning Actor; Tony Award®, Screen Actors Guild Awards®, Director’s Guild of America Award®, NAACP Image Award® and Imagen Award Nominated Actor; Zoot Suit, Stand and Deliver, Selena, Miami Vice, Blade Runner, Battlestar Galatica, Mayans MC.
- Danny Glover (Co-Founder, The Robey Theatre Company; BET Award, Cable ACE Award, NAACP Image Award and Asian Pacific Screen Awards Winner and Emmy Award® Nominated Actor; SB 805 Coalition Member; Lethal Weapon franchise, Dreamgirls, Places in the Heart, The Color Purple, Jumanji: Welcome to The Jungle, Mandela, The Royal Tenenbaums)
- Kirsten Vangsness (Best known for playing tech-kitten Penelope Garcia on the Criminal Minds franchise, she co-penned four episodes, including the series finale. She is a longtime member of Theatre of NOTE. She has a one-woman show, Mess, and an ensemble piece, Cleo, Theo and Wu. She is the owner of Orange County’s first craft distillery, Blinking Owl.
- Ben Guillory (Co-Founder, CEO and Producing Artistic Director, The Robey Theatre Company, SB 805 Coalition Member; The Color Purple, NCIS, Star Wars: Jedi Knight – Dark Forces, Eli Stone, My Name Is Earl)
- Joe Spano (Emmy Award® Winning Actor; NCIS, Hill Street Blues, Midnight Caller, Mercy Point, Amazing Grace, Murder One, NYPD Blue, Apollo 13, Fracture, Hollywood land, American Graffiti, Frost/Nixon)
- Michelle Krusiec (Best Actress Golden Horse Award Nominee, the Chinese Language Oscar® for Saving Face; Actor, Writer and Director. Played Ana May Wong in Ryan Murphy’s Hollywood for Netflix. Krusiec’s work as an actress and advocate for Asian Pacific Islander causes has been honored by The White House and others. Also know for her one-woman show, Made In Taiwan (HBO Aspen Comedy Festival); toured with the cast of David Henry Hwang’s play, Chinglish.
- French Stewart (Daytime Emmy Award® and Screen Actors Guild Awards® Nominee; Third Rock from the Sun, Stargate, Inspector Gadget 2, Broken Arrow, Mom, The Middle, Secrets and Lies, The New WKRP in Cincinnati, Watson: The Last Great Tale of the Legendary Sherlock Holmes at Sacred Fools Theatre Company and Voice Lessons Off-Broadway)
- Kate Linder (Film Festival Award Winning Actress; The Young and the Restless, Mother’s Day, Hysteria, Miss Meadows)
- Vanessa Stewart (Actress, Writer and Co-Artistic Director of Sacred Fools Theatre Company; SB 805 Coalition Member. Co-Creator and Star of her hit original musical, Louis & Keely: Live at the Sahara. Notable productions presented at Sacred Fools Theater Company: Absolutely Filthy (An Unauthorized Peanuts Parody; Louis & Keely: Live at the Sahara; Stoneface: The Rise and Fall and Rise of Buster Keaton; Voice Lessons and Watson: The Last Great Tale of the Legendary Sherlock Holmes)
- Fabrizio Guido (Imagen Foundation Award Nominated Actor; Mr. Iglesias on Netflix, Family, World War Z, Welcome to the Family, Black As Night, The Night Shift, Wisdom of The Crowd. Directed and wrote the short films, Dog Days and My Sisters First. Volunteer with the Teen Film Class at CASA 0101 Theater)
Thank you to all of the media outlets that came out to cover today’s event!
ABC7: Hollywood stars, activists join rally in Boyle Heights to support small theaters
Steve Moyer Public Relations @ Work: 818.784.7027